What is a special treat that makes you feel warm and cozy on a chilly day? Well, a warm cinnamon bun of course! When I was in high school I worked in a little coffee shop and one of my jobs was to make the cinnamon buns. I would have to go in early Saturday morning to make the dough and let it rise so that I could roll it all out and make 15 pans of buns and freeze them. It was great because all you would have to do is take out a pan at the end of the day and let them rise over night. But what if you want a cinnamon bun like, right now? This rolls back to my small amount of patience thing. I was having a cup of tea thinking that a gooey cinnamon bun would be just perfect. These are great and you can make them in 45 minutes. We are going to cheat and do a quick rise dough. I added to the recipe just because it’s what I like and I highly suggest you try it out too. I added orange zest and craisins, mmm perfection.
The dough is made completely from scratch and rises super-fast thanks to this oven proofing method. You basically make the dough and let it rest for just 5 minutes then roll and cut the cinnamon rolls and let them rise in a warm pre-heated 200 Fahrenheit degree oven. They will rise in just 20 minutes and are then ready for baking. You then turn on the oven to 375F and bake for 15 minutes and that’s pretty much it!
The result is soft and fluffy cinnamon rolls that are out of this world. Top with an easy glaze and enjoy these warm rolls right out of the oven!
- 2 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package instant yeast (1 packet = 2 and ¼ teaspoons)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Zest from one large orange
- ¼ cup craisins
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk
- To Make dough:In a large bowl, mix the flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly dispersed. Set aside. In a small microwavable bowl, heat the water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted. Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and knead with hand or with stand mixer for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky. Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the ovento 200 degrees and turn off after 10 minutes or just before placing rolls in oven.
- To Make Filling:After the dough has rested for 5 minutes, roll it out in a 15×9 inch rectangle. Mix together the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and spread over the dough. In a small bowl, combine the orange zest and craisins and sprinkle on top of the brown sugar spread. Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 9 (large) even piece. Place in a lightly greased 9-inch or square pan (or cut into 12 small pieces and place in a 9×13 pan) and lightly cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- TURN OFFthe oven and place the cinnamon buns in the oven to rise for 20 minutes. Keep the buns in the oven (REMOVE THE FOIL OR PLASTIC) and turn on the oven to 375F. Bake the cinnamon rolls for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and top with glaze.
- To make glaze:Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 Tablespoons milk together until smooth and lump free. Drizzle over warm rolls.